Monday 29 December 2008

Meditating on the MTR


So there I was this evening, waiting for the MTR and thinking about my New Year Resolutions.

Why was I waiting? Because I had forgotten to see if the lift was there as I was talking to my friends and we took the escalator. So some snotty-nosed young kid, with vastly more sense than us and wheelie-shoes, took the lift, made it on to the platform 30 seconds before us and got the train that we just missed. Doh!

Anyway, I digress.

I was thinking about my NYRs and came up with "More sex". But then I thought "this is not a SMART goal" as it's not A or R. A much better goal, and one that is in direct contradiction to all of the sports psychology goal setting frameworks I have ever read is "Try to have more sex". So I can fulfil my goal  by trying as hard as I want and I don't actually have to have more sex!

Brilliant.

But, on a more serious note, I will grapple further with my NYRs and come up with 5 (a good amount, not too many, not too few). I have one already.

1) Have a more positive outlook for the future.

& that's not a bad one at all.


5 comments:

  1. Do you really mean it's possible for a guy to live in HK and not be able to be getting any???? I thought by definition HK was guy heaven in that respect..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, errr, this is very possible. Likewise Japan.

    However the presence of a special lady mouse in my life together with my ethical framework prevents me from passing through the gates of this particular heaven.

    Conversely does this mean that HK is girl hell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair enough, I think the specimens I have run into during my nighttime ramblings must have given me a biased opinion of all men in town :). No, HK is not girl hell at all, (unless they make resolutions to have more sex, then they can be disappointed when comparing their success rates to guys). Some women suffer from HK being a bit weird in terms of men/women relationships but if you scratch the surface and make an effort it's not worse than any other large city where being single will have its challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mousey, this post is starting to sound a bit too much like the posts one finds on the Asiaxpat Women's section. All can be roughly translated as "why does my boyfriend/husband screw around?".

    The blindingly obvious answer of because he is a tosser seems to evade the readers.

    Or maybe he's just not that into you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah, only just saw this one Mummy.

    Another answer might be

    "Because they can"......

    ReplyDelete