Wednesday 24 December 2008

'twas the night before Christmas

& all was quiet. Not even a mouse stirred.

Well, that’s not quite true cos this mouse is running around like a mad thing trying so very desperately to finish his Crimbo shopping. The only thing I have going for me is that it’s a half day here and we can all leave after the markets shut.

Pub, drink, Crimbo shopping, oh what to do?

One of the better things about being a Christmas orphan (by which I mean ex-pat in different country away from home country family) is that you have total discretion over whom you chose to spend your Christmas with. It’s very liberating. No being nice to relatives you detest. No pointless and unsuitable Christmas presents from relations who don’t know you well enough to buy you something you might actually use.

Also, no super stressed out mothers. I realize that not all mothers are alike but my Mum had a pretty set Christmas Day routine.

1) Be woken up too early by excitable children (I may not be totally blameless in that respect)
2) Frenzied present opening after an early breakfast
3) Shouting at various husbands, cats, children etc to get out of kitchen and stop bothering her as the magic that was Christmas lunch slowly came together
4) Non-essential personnel finally expelled from house altogether and told to go for a walk to the pond and back with strict instructions to be back by 12:00, mind you.
5) Slight hysterics at muddy cloths and maladroitly wiped shoes on return from pond.
6) Final clean up of house, plumping of cushions, emergency cleaning of carpet with carpet sweeper.
7) Calm period as relatives and sundry hangers-on arrive and actually eat Christmas Lunch. Crispy bacon anyone? Yum!
8) Time for quiet reflection on sofa whilst watching The Sound of Music/ Mary Poppins/ Where Eagles Dare on TV.
9) Eat cold turkey and sausages for dinner.
10) & so to bed.

Actually, now that doesn’t sound too bad a day at all, now I come to look at it.

I am very much looking forward to my Christmas Day and my main pressie which I have wanted all year and, against all odds, have managed to stop myself buying until now. But more on delayed gratification another time.

Best Christmas Wishes to you all.

2 comments:

  1. For "maladroitly" you get a cashew nut.

    All the very best to you, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyouverymuch. I still need to raise my game to match your cashew count. "Lacrimonious" indeed

    ReplyDelete