Saturday 17 January 2009

Socks

Socks are marvelous things.

I used to take them for granted until I started spending a lot of time hiking. A good pair of boots and a good, and very importantly dry, pair of socks are absolutely vital. My father (who used to be in the Army) was adamant about this point. I have to say he was spot on.

There are all sorts of things to do with socks. You can, of course, wear them. You can roll them into a ball and throw them at people. You can roll one up and put it inside the other one (if they are long sports socks) and create the schoolboy equivalent of a mace. If you are really bored, you can make very bad hand puppets.

But you can also take them off. I think there is a whole episode of Coupling that discusses the "sock zone" which is where a man unfortunately takes off his trousers before his socks and then stands there, in his undies and socks. Even if you have a physique that you can smash walnuts on, it is difficult to look good in this situation.

I was Djing at a wedding once. It was going well at the afterparty and the amount of clothing being worn was on the decease. My friend H came over and noticed I was wearing neither shoes nor socks and inquired why. I merely pointed to the man standing on a chair, trying to take both his trousers and socks off at the same time and said "Sock zone".





5 comments:

  1. Clearly there's more to this story than you are revealing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making a mace out of a pair of rugby socks?
    Or the one about the wedding?

    Or the other wedding where everyone threw their underwear on the fire in the fireplace?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Lottie, more on the wedding (either of them) please? At mine we had cake and champagne. It was winter in the UK...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I am still waiting for a bit more info on the underwear-less party...

    ReplyDelete