Wednesday 4 March 2009

First Aid


My company, in an unexpected gesture for a MNC, asked for volunteers to do a St John's Ambulance First Aid Course a little while ago.

I signed up because as well as being very handsome and intelligent, I also
a) do a lot of sports outdoors  where people might get broken  limbs etc or hypothermia
b) think it's  a good idea to be able to help, were someone to start choking, going blue etc etc in front of you.

As an added bonus I got to go learn during company time every thursday in Feb. Result!

But now the fun and games are over and I have my exam tomorrow. So I should be revising.

But before I go, top 3 things I have learnt on the course are:
1) Keep severed body parts at 4 degrees C for maximum preservation (& don't let them come into direct contact with the ice)
2) Blood is made up of 55% plasma
3) Automated external defibrillators are very cool.


5 comments:

  1. I did all this stuff for my Rescue Diver course a few years ago. At the time I thought it moderately silly in that way that you never seriously think you will need to do more than put a plaster on someone.

    2 years later I was on the coast of Sri Lanka when the tsunami hit. Hubbie and I were the only people where we were who know any first aid, let alone CPR, and I am now convinced it is the responsibility of anyone who travels more than 10 minutes from a hospital to know this stuff.

    And the defibs are SOOO cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are! And I know where the one in my office building is now.
    If I pass my course I can go on another one to learn about AEDs. However, from what I can gather, it involves putting the pads on and then pressing the button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are that difficult, yes. And much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about the mouth to mouth stuff, is that freky?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's not too bad as you get to wipe the dummies down with alcohol wipes Also the dummies definitely teach you about opening airways etc etc. So, all in all, it's OK....

    ReplyDelete