Thursday 30 April 2009

Hair

No not the musical.

As I was walking down the street, (not the Dr Feelgood song, http://www.drfeelgood.de/zlooking.htm ) yesterday, I was behind a girl who clearly hadn't shaved her legs for some time. 

This got me thinking about women and body hair. Before the advent of disposable razors, I am assuming that women didn't shave their legs. So at some point, someone must have decided it was a good thing that women have smooth legs. And now I see that quite a lot of women shave their arms also. Who decided that arm hair was bad and had to go?

Then I started thinking about what's happening with boys. In the 80's the David Hasselhoff and Magnum PI look meant a hairy chest. If we look at your average Armaini / GQ male model now, there's usually not a chest hair to be seen. 

I read an article the other week about women shaving their pudenda and apparently over 25% of women aged 18-25 do this these days (admittedly for a variety of reasons ranging from "It makes me feel clean" to "I find it sexy" ). Who decided that no hair, or your playboy landing strip was a good idea? 

Perhaps it's all bound up inextricably with the mystery that is fashion.


If anyone wants to shed some light on the "all body hair is bad" thing, please feel free. I realise I could do some research on the net but I never said I wasn't lazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment